Re: [registrars] Regarding membership list

At 03:14 PM 8/31/04, Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine wrote:<br>
decide causes me some concern. He<br>
wrote expressing a concern about &quot;phantom registrars&quot;. Since
ICANN<br>
has accredited the registrars so characterized, and since there is<br>
nothing in our ByLaws that speakes to the lack of standing of such<br>
a registrar to join, or remain in, the RC, I'm certain that even<br>
handed treatment in determining membership is prudent.
Dear Eric:&nbsp; I don't know what your motives are so I am unable to
know how to answer you.<br><br>
Any ICANN Accredited Registrar is free to join the RC.<br><br>
However, there is a restriction on a firm having multiple votes.&nbsp;
The pertinent section of the By-Laws is shown in red, below:<br><br>
4.5. Voting. <br>
4.5.1. All voting of the Constituency shall be undertaken according to
the applicable provisions of the then current &quot;Registrar
Constituency Rules of Procedure&quot; which are determined in accordance
with the following provisions;<br>
4.5.1.1. The Executive Committee shall cause the proposed ballot to be
published for review and comment by the Membership prior to undertaking a
vote on a substantive issue or election of a candidate. This review
period shall take place for at least a three-day period and shall end at
least two days before the ballots are to be cast.<br>
4.5.1.2. The Registrar Constituency shall use online voting systems to
facilitate participation in the business of the Constituency.<br>
in good standing shall have voting rights. Where a Member owns 51% or
more of the voting shares of one or more ICANN Accredited Registrars,
that Member shall be limited to one (1) vote.<br>
seven (7) day voting period.<br>
4.5.1.5. Non-payment by any Member of required Constituency fees for a
period of sixty (60) days or more after the due date of such fees will
result in the automatic suspension of the Member's voting privileges,
until such time as the Treasurer determines that the Constituency fees
have been paid in full.&nbsp; The Treasurer will provide notice of such
suspension to the Member at least 5 days prior to the suspension taking
effect.<br><br>
end quote:&nbsp; <br><br>
Thank you, Tim, for this copy of the by-laws.&nbsp; I am in Tokyo on my
portable and did not have a copy.<br><br>
I personally spoke with one Registrar in KL who said it had automated the
system of applying for new accreditations -- so that he can make one
hundred (100) applications per month!!!<br><br>
That is the source of my concern about &quot;phantom
registrars&quot;.<br><br>
Do you understand now?<br><br>
Cordially, BobC, Secretary of RC<br><br>