Re: [registrars] PIR EPP 1.0 and Domain Info command

  • To: "Jay Westerdal" <jwesterdal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] PIR EPP 1.0 and Domain Info command
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 18:49:04 +0000
  • Cc: registrars@xxxxxxxx, brunner@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oki all,

I've only given this a little bit of thought.

If PIR is tending towards a PII-aware policy w.r.t. data protection, then
in principle I'm in favor.

As Jay points out, "there is no registrant data in the "Info" command",
so the PII-aware policy possibility is not credible.

That leaves Registry-business-aware policy as the next likely possibility.

I'm concerned that any registry force any delta on client-side provisioning
application, and on business logic with insufficient prior notice, and of
course, conformance to contract. Particularly since this is a cost shift,
and the registry business ROI is apparently not shared.

description than "the general public" for the scope of the information
disclosure (current), and one, or two registrars in the case of a transfer,
is the scope of the information disclosure (proposed). This isn't "WHOIS
REDOUX", this is EPP 1.0.

We (the protocol authors) intended that <info> "retrieve detailed
information associated with a domain object" to distinguish it from
<check>, and that purpose survived into rfc3731, Sec. 3.1. Now it
is true that the minOccurs value for everything in an <info> response
element is 0, but that doesn't mean that returning 0 is "compliant"
with EPP (Bruce used the negative sense).

In a perfect world I wouldn't want provisioning policy to know about,
much less care about, publication policies, whether via dns, whois or
bulk xfr. So I wouldn't want to tie this too tightly to whatever the
ZooIs menagerie ends up with.

In the same, or a similarly perfect world, I wouldn't want the registry
to have the only complete view of the temporal properties of registrations,
when a registry advertizes its brand as being "durable", I'd sort of like
to know that its not all spammers on 1 year de minimus registrations.

I agree with Mike, that prepopulating the gaining registrar's database
without forcing the registrant to re-type all of his/her/it contact
data is a win, and to look at just that issue narrowly, forcing customers
to "touch keyboard" is a restraint on transfers, just as forcing customers
to touch paper has been a restraint on registration in the ccTLDs that do
force registrants and/or registrars to do business using a typewriter and
not a keyboard.

Maybe if PIR reduced the price by a dollar. Their registry-business-aware
policy and my registrar-business-aware policy might then be a win-win.

Eric
USAWebhost/wampumpeag