Re: [registrars] .net thick/thin discussion

  • To: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] .net thick/thin discussion
  • From: Jens Wagner <jwagner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:26:03 +0200
  • Cc: registrars@xxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thats right. However RRP cannot be used as it doesn't know about auth-codes. So a transition to (thin-)EPP would be required in that case, too.

How should transfers from thick to thin be handled? Should the registry just remove the contacts from the domain?

To initiate a transfer from thin to thick, all contact handles must be provided beforehand (to keep the system consistent). This would require some EPP extension, and complicate the transfer process for thick registrars, so the registrars could not perform business on an equal basis anymore. I think we should not have a mixed thin/thick model.

 -  jens

Tim Ruiz schrieb:

The only confusion we had with thin/thick transfers during the ORG
transition was due to the authcode. However, a thick/thin choice where EPP
and authcodes are used for both models would avoid that confusion.

You do not HAVE to be thick to use EPP and authcodes.

Tim