Re: [registrars] icann budget position (ascio)

  • To: Patricio Valdes <valdes@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Nikolaj Nyholm'" <nikolajn@xxxxxxxxx>, <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] icann budget position (ascio)
  • From: JP <jp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 15:18:56 -0400
  • Cc: Dan Halloran <halloran@xxxxxxxxx>, <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Patricio,

I believe you misunderstood my words.

Parava Networks is obviously a company in the Registration business,
regardless of the model you use, you DO registrations, you take care of your
own registrations and you are the registrar of record; therefore you know
you will have to respond to your customers, and you are legally liable if
you screw up with their records. You accepted that responsibility and for
that you are "worthy" of the "ICANN accredited" seal, and worthy of being
called a "fellow registrar" and the respect of your peers.

At no point I said that it is fair that the Registrars  have to carry most
of the weight of the budget or that ICANN can spend money at their own
discretion.

But I will not accept nor support the call to move everything to a per
transaction fee, because this petition has nothing to do with the budget,
and all to do with whom is paying for part of it, including the costs of
facilitating and maintaining the accreditation of NOT INTERESTED IN
REGISTERING registrars.

JP