RE: [registrars] ICANN Proposed budget is out for public comment

  • To: "'ross@xxxxxxxxxx'" <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jay Westerdal <jwesterdal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] ICANN Proposed budget is out for public comment
  • From: Paul Stahura <stahura@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 13:25:44 -0700
  • Cc: "'Registrars Constituency'" <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I agree with Ross here.
We all signed contracts that say if we vote "no" to paying ICANN... then we
pay anyway (via the registries).
We all knew what we were getting into when we signed.
As I've said more than a few times over the years, the only long-term
solution (without changes to the current contracts) is for alternative
sources (non-registrar, non-registry) to pony up more funds or for ICANN to
spend less money.
I've believed for a long time that it will be easier (better?) to solve the
problem of getting alternative sources of funds (address registries, ccTLD,
other registry services, governments, large companies, TLD auctions,
whatever) than the other, in my opinion, harder (because we want ICANN to be
stronger) problem to solve (ICANN doing less by spending less).