RE: [registrars] ICANN Budget Update

  • To: "Rob Hall" <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Registrars Mail List" <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] ICANN Budget Update
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 09:25:08 -0400
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rob:

Thanks for keeping the registrars constituency involved in this very
important process. I believe the collective work of you, Tim, Brian and
Elana will be critical in representing the collective voice of all
registrars in this process. Just a couple of points of clarification.
You are correct that I do currently serve as one of five members of the
Board Finance Committee. However, although the Finance Committee plays
an important role in ICANN's budget process, its real work begins once
the President's proposed budget is posted. (This year, that will happen
in the next several days.) The proposed budget is developed by the
President and staff; in that process they consult with both the Budget
Advisory Group and the Finance Committee.

Once the budget is posted, according to its charter the Finance
Committee is responsible for "Review[ing] the annual budget and mak[ing]
specific recommendations to the Board on its adoption, including where
desirable, comments on expense levels, revenue structures, fees and
charges, adequacy of proposed funding levels of programs, and adequacy
of provision for reserves."

As a member of the Finance Committee, I intend to approach this advisory
role by listening to the entire community including the
registrars, who have long funded the bulk of ICANN's budget. I'll try
my best to begin by focusing on understanding any concerns registrars
may have, so that these inputs can assist in developing recommendations
to the Board. I plan to form definite opinions on the budget only after
I've had a chance to hear the community's views and discuss them with the
community.

I do hope there will be a thoughtful dialog among all registrars, large,
medium
and niche, regarding ICANN's budgetary priorities and how best to raise
the funds needed to meet those priorities. Of course, the other members
of the Finance Committee (Ivan Campos, Hagen Hultzsch, Tricia Drakes,
and Tom Niles) I believe are also quite interested in hearing views from
throughout the community as well as other Board members that will have to
approve the final budget.

I look forward to receiving anyone's feedback.

Best regards,

Michael D. Palage