Re: [registrars] FW: [dow1tf] TR: IPC constituency statement for Whois TF1

  • To: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] FW: [dow1tf] TR: IPC constituency statement for Whois TF1
  • From: "Ross Wm. Rader" <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:18:01 -0500
  • Cc: "'Paul Stahura'" <stahura@xxxxxxxx>, registrars@xxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 3/30/2004 3:50 PM Tim Ruiz noted that:

Paul,

As you know, Go Daddy believes that port 43 should be severely restricted,
if not done away with all together. By severely restricted I do NOT mean
some kind of tiered access. I mean most access to port 43 should be stopped
entirely.

But what should the policy be:

a) remove port 43
b) allow registrars to manage the service as they see fit
c) do nothing.

My preference is b) within tightly controlled bounds. I kind of like having port 43 around for a lot of reasons and would prefer to be able to respond to the needs of the market within the confines of a policy rather than being forced into a position where a policy prevents an entire course of action (as with a)

A similar policy outcome for dealing with Bulk access to customer data makes similar sense.

The market will almost always be a better regulator.

--

                       -rwr

                "Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions.
                                           All life is an experiment.
                            The more experiments you make the better."
						- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Got Blog? http://www.blogware.com
My Blogware: http://www.byte.org