Re: [registrars] Congressional Hearing

On 2/13/2004 12:07 PM Rick Wesson noted that:

Your privacy argument mearly pushes the responsibility for
determining accuracy on law-enforcement.

<snip>

While your examples are initially compelling simple math proves that your
examples, while all true, amount to annoyances. The costs to the public,
registrars and registries are miniscule to the fraud perpetrated on the
Internet every day. If your examples were costing the anyone of the actors
in the millions every day I'm sure the issues would be addressed; However,
since your examples are self-centered industry pain that amounts to mabe
[and i'm stretching things] to damage in the hundreds-of-thousands on an
annual basis, well that a cost of doing business.

If you could find some examples of industry pain in the level of millions
per day, as is fraud carried out on the Internet, I'm sure they would have
more relevance on this topic.

Rick - your arguement is equally spurious as it assumes that a) registrars have existing responsibilities to guaranteeing data accuracy and b) that increasing this invented onus is the best way to solve the problem.

This is patently ridiculous and terribly self-interested.

The existing system of monitoring and enforcement, which has the benefit of being continually improved, has much to commend it. I did not get into business to babysit registrants. Either they can provide us with accurate data or they cannot. Those that are unable to live up to their contractual agreement should have those contracts revoked.

It need not be more complex than that.

--

                       -rwr

                "Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions.
                                           All life is an experiment.
                            The more experiments you make the better."
						- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Got Blog? http://www.blogware.com
My Blogware: http://www.byte.org
begin:vcard
fn:Ross Rader
n:Rader;Ross
org:Tucows Inc.;Innovation & Research
adr:;;96 Mowat;Toronto;ON;M9C 4J4;Canada
email;internet:ross@xxxxxxxxxx
title:Director
tel;work:(416) 538-5492
tel;fax:(416) 531-1257