[registrars] Deletion of all IDN.org domains February 1st 2004:-(

  • To: Registrars Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] Deletion of all IDN.org domains February 1st 2004:-(
  • From: "Robert F. Connelly" <rconnell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 23:28:57 -0800
  • Cc: "David W. Maher" <dwmaher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "David W. Maher" <dmaher@xxxxxxx>, Bruce Beckwith <Bbeckwith@xxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Registrars:

You may wish for me to take this thread to a separate list.

On or about 23 December 2003, PIR announced on their web site their intention to delete all idn.org domains which were in the domains they migrated from Verisign. I am told that it was not announced in the form of an Email to registrars. I know that I was advised by telephone just before Christmas. The announcement says that PIR will delete all RACE encoded .org domains -- bq--xxxxxxx.org -- on 1 February 2004. Here is the URL:

<http://www.pir.org/registrars/registrar_relations/announcements/index_html>http://www.pir.org/registrars/registrar_relations/announcements/index_html

The Registrars in Japan are justly concerned about such an eventuality. A concerted action by registrars is in the making. Unfortunately, December 23rd was a holiday, the Emperor's Birthday, and the 26th was the last day of business until 5 January. It has taken a few days for the realization to hit home, but hit it has, and hard!!!

I think I remember that Register.com, Tucows, perhaps eNom and other registrars not domiciled in Japan also made registrations during the so called "test bed" landrush starting 9 November 2000. Was Netaka a registrar at that time, also? I think some of you also made registrations in Korean and Traditional and Simplified Chinese. All of these .org domains are scheduled for the guillotine in 30 days;-(

Question: Is this matter of sufficient general concern to the Consistency to vet the issue on this List? Or should we create a separate list?

Regards, BobC, speaking with my PSI-Japan, Inc. hat on;-}

"It doesn't do any good to run
if you don't start on time!"