RE: [registrars] Questions re: Budget Committee

  • To: "'ross@xxxxxxxxxx'" <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>, registrars@xxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Questions re: Budget Committee
  • From: "Cute, Brian" <bcute@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:30:38 -0500
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ross,

I think fiscal restraint and responsibility are the utmost priorities.
First, registrars bear the lion share of fee burden and that should change
-- we must challenge that formula and there are various ways to attack that
point.  In my view, registrar refusal to approve payment of the fees
provides little relief.  Second, ICANN is in full expansion mode and we
should review the existing budget to determine if the current expansion
falls within its four corners.  ICANN may or may not succeed at finding
alternative sources of funding and we need to anticipate both potential
scenarios.  If ICANN can find alternative funding, it should provide an
opportunity for relief of the registrar burden.  If not, it will surely look
to the current contributors to pony up more funds.  Either scenario begs for
a fiscally responsible approach by ICANN.

Brian