RE: [registrars] Questions re: Budget Committee

  • To: <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>, <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Questions re: Budget Committee
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:56:13 -0600
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ross,

First and foremost we need registrars to be as involved and attentive to
this process as possible, and as early as possible. And I agree with Elana,
we need to work closely with the other constituencies, in particularly the
Registries.

I feel that Paul Twomey has expressed a desire for registrars to be more
involved and that he is open to innovative ideas for alternative funding
sources. We should embrace that desire and contribute meaningfully to help
ICANN look outside the box for new sources of funding, and perhaps
reevaluate the way registrars are currently paying their fees.

The members who are selected to be on this committee need to be proactive in
garnering such ideas and support from all members. They need to be proactive
in this process with ICANN to be sure we have the opportunity to review,
comment, and propose. And they need to begin now.

Paul, in his speech in Geneva last Thursday, spoke about expanding ICANN's
physical presence globally. That is going to take cash. Where will it come
from? I think Paul realizes that this cannot be done with the current
funding model. This very well may be the year that we can influence a real
change.

Tim Ruiz
VP, Domain Services
Go Daddy Software, Inc.