RE: [registrars] Questions re: Budget Committee

  • To: <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>, <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Questions re: Budget Committee
  • From: "Elana Broitman" <ebroitman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:07:28 -0500
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As we know, we are in a difficult position.  Our leverage rests in the fact that we can refuse to vote in favor of paying the dues.  But, that means that ICANN simply collects from the gTLD registries, which are likely to then charge us.

Some have argued that this would leave us worse off because our relationship to ICANN would be more attenuated.

In order to try to avoid getting into this position, I believe we should:

a) press ICANN to share with us their preliminary thoughts about the budget as soon as possible, and certainly enough so that we can review and provide initial input at the Rome meeting.  Weighing in before it's more or less done gives us far more leverage than trying to criticize it once it's done.  We asked ICANN last year for more details earlier, and Twomey had promised to deliver.

b) Work closely with other constituencies - particularly the gTLD registries - for a united position that strengthens us.

c) Suggest creative solutions for ICANN to expand its funding base or reduce its expenses.

d) Make our concerns public if we are not getting early or meaningful opportunity for review and input.  I.e. pressure on ICANN - require them to answer tough questions.  This is going to be one of our key levers.  Work with governments and press.

e) Ultimately, if all else fails, and we don't support the budget, this may well be the year that we don't support direct payment of fees.  But, there may be a lot of different considerations at that time that we're not aware of yet, so it is impossible to predict whether that would be the right course.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

Elana Broitman
Register.com
575 Eighth Avenue
New York, NY 10018