[registrars] GNSO priorities for the next 12 months

  • To: <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] GNSO priorities for the next 12 months
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 15:51:50 +1000
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello All,

On the topic of GNSO elections, I would like to summarise the past year
of the GNSO Council, and the priorities for the next year.

I was elected as a registrars representative to the GNSO Council
commencing in January 2002.  In September 2002, I was elected chair of
the GNSO.
Since September 2002 the GNSO has created new consensus policy
recommendations on the topics of transfers, WHOIS, and deletes.

The issues for consideration in the next 12 months are:
- further improvements to WHOIS (I am currently acting chair of the
WHOIS steering group)
- improvements to the UDRP process
- processes for the introduction of new tlds in the long term
- processes for introducing registry services
(consistent with the registrar constituency position that any gTLD
registry be required to follow a predetermined process designed to
ensure consultation, analysis and provide due and proper notice prior to
creating a new service.)

I hope I can continue to serve the interests of the registrar
constituency, and seek to form consensus amongst the other GNSO
constituencies to develop practical policies that improve the operation
of the industry for all participants.  I hope I can also continue to
provide an international perspective (even if my language skills are
mostly limited to English) as I live in the Asia Pacific region, and
Melbourne IT has offices in USA and Europe.  I think it is also
important to have the support of my employer to travel to the various
ICANN physical meetings (I have been to all meetings since the meeting
in Melbourne in March 2001), and pay for the many international phone
calls.

Regards,
Bruce