RE: [registrars] Verisign change to operation of the .com DNS lookup service

  • To: <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Verisign change to operation of the .com DNS lookup service
  • From: "Elana Broitman" <ebroitman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:28:44 -0400
  • Cc: <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Ross - I appreciate your concern about delay if this gets "polished," but per my earlier email, you have 2 days to accept "friendly" amendments.  I would like to suggest an amendment meant to be friendly in that it would be designed to signal our significant concerns with this VeriSign service and to push for ICANN to stop it, while at the same time not being overly broad and generic so as to alienate all registries (which have 25% of the Council vote).

Here is the rewrite I would suggest:

"Whereas the VeriSign Registry has launched a new service that potentially risks the stability and security of the domain name system and undermines competition in the registrar and registry sectors without any apparent prior notice or consultation, the Registrar Constituency strongly recommends that the GNSO Council
advocate that ICANN require the VeriSign Registry Operator to cease this new service and return an NXDOMAIN response for DNS records that do not exist and that in all
cases and forbid the VeriSign Registry from including wild-card entries in gTLD zones until such time as the Supporting Organizations provide input on security, stability and competition issues, and ICANN staff ensures that any such service would be in compliance with the VeriSign Registry Agreement."
--

Elana Broitman
Register.com