Re: [registrars] Verisign change to operation of the .com DNS lookup service

  • To: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] Verisign change to operation of the .com DNS lookup service
  • From: elliot noss <enoss@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:41:16 -0400
  • Cc: ross@xxxxxxxxxx, registrars@xxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I would frame the core question a little differently. For me it is something like "what is the contractual nature of the registry agreement?". IOW is it a contract for a fee to preform a service, or is it a broad delegation of the rights and benefits associated with a TLD?

This is the question that, IMHO, ICANN has been afraid to answer and I think here Verisign was silly enough to force them to. Boy if I was interested in the re-bid of .com or .net I would be licking my lips right about now.

To be clear, I am not putting this question to you to be answered Mike. I appreciate you would be ill advised to do so publically.

Regards

Michael D. Palage wrote:

Ross,

Thanks for the clarification of "loaded".

From a purely legal standpoint, ICANN has granted a registry (.MUSEUM) the
contractual right to use wild cards in their registry operations. Therefore,
there is a presumption that ICANN has condoned this service, either
explicitly or by mistake.

If, however, as you previously stated in your last email, ICANN staff just
made an arbitrary decision without consulting the community. Then the next
question you/community needs to ask is how do you undue this "mistake."

Please keep the constructive comments coming, they are appreciated.

Mike