RE: [registrars] Marina del Rey Registrar Meeting - September 12

  • To: "'Michael D. Palage'" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Registrars'" <Registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Marina del Rey Registrar Meeting - September 12
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:41:14 -0500
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Registry issue I referred to is regarding the deletion of domains
that have nameservers hosting domains. The problem:

A customer/registrant decides not to renew domain A, or wants to cancel
it. It cannot be removed because it has nameservers hosting domains. The
domains hosted are not sponsored by the registrar of A. The registrar
and the customer are unsuccessful in their attempts to get the
registrants of the hosted domains to reassign nameservers, or remove the
nameservers of domain A. The registrar ends up stuck with another year
of renewal whether or not he can collect it from the registrant of A.

Of course, VeriSign provides somewhat of a work around for this, but it
isn't ideal. The other registries provide no help whatsoever with this.

I realize there is concern for stability, but this should not be
enforced to the point of forcing registrars and/or registrants to pay
for renewals on names they no longer want. I also think too much is left
up to the registrar to resolve. The registry should take a more active
role in solving this issue.

Possible solutions:

If this is left to be completely a registrar problem, then the registrar
should be allowed to request a "forced" delete or cancellation of a
domain name. That would be a specific command that indicates that the
registrar knows they are asking for the domain to be deleted regardless
of the nameserver issue. Of course the registrar may be expected to take
on some liability for this, perhaps representing that efforts have been
made to contact the registrants of the affected domains.

If the registries are willing to be more involved, then perhaps they
could take it upon themselves to agree to cancel these names if the
nameservers in question no longer ping. A separate request to cancel
names of this nature would be submitted, the registry would check them
out, and delete them if appropriate.

Other ideas?

Tim