RE: [registrars] wls and domain expiraion dates (9/11)

  • To: "'Rick Wesson'" <wessorh@xxxxxx>, Registrars List <Registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] wls and domain expiraion dates (9/11)
  • From: Paul Stahura <stahura@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 09:40:36 -0700
  • Cc: halloran@xxxxxxxxx, twomey@xxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Even if the registry published the data, only the registrar of record
knows that the registrant did not renew.  No matter what the registry
publishes,
the registrar-of-record knows this information *first*, and therefore can
offer the WLS at lower risk (or at a zero price) first.  That is why
condition "C" exists.
Condition "C" must change because it allows the registrar-of-record to
disclose
the information to another registrar and *that* registrar is allowed to
purchase the WLS
during the black-out period.  That is why the blackout period must cover all
registrars,
not just the registrar-of-record.  Another reason why condition c must
change is that the
blackout period needs to be known before the name deletes and not depend on
a future event
such as the name actually deleting, which is the point Verisign brought
up in their request for reconsideration. The only question remaining is when
and how long should the
blackout period be?  I wrote a paper on it, which is at
http://www.icannwatch.org/essays/icann-wls3c.doc
If the blackout period does not cover a period before a name expires until
the name
is available again for registration,
(say the blackout period ends short of availability, which is not what I
advocated in my paper)
then it probably should be combined with information disclosure by the
registry at a time before
the blackout period ends, but if that is the case it introduces other
problems such as registry EPP (WLS uses EPP) loading.
But that may be acceptable to all parties because a period that ends
before name-availability would probably not diminish WLS sales.

I would like to meet with Paul Twomey or his designee (Dan?) and anyone else
who is interested,
to discuss the "tailoring" of condition c
that the ICANN board has authorized the ICANN staff to undertake.
I believe we can reach a compromise to insure fairness among registrars and
that WLS supporters can live with.
I would like to work with ICANN (not happening at the moment)
and companies on both sides of the issue (is happening) to reach agreement
on condition "c".

It is a complicated issue, and that for me at least, requires much thought,
and certain changes, I am certain,
will lead to unintended negative consequences such as the registry's
whois system being loaded as you point out below or unfairness among
registrars as I point out, and/or other negatives.
As it stands now, "c" maximizes 2 negatives: 1) registrar unfairness and 2)
registry whois pounding
If anyone would like to discuss it more, please send me an email or call.

Paul