ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

net-com

[net-com] To clarify my position

  • Subject: [net-com] To clarify my position
  • From: Marc Schneiders <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 17:51:55 +0200 (CEST)
  • Cc: <net-com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-net-com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As I just said on the conference call, I am not expecting much from
new services. Frankly I don't want them in a monopoly contract. And
certainly not as a criterium to award it to an existing 4 million
names unsponsered TLD. That would only enhance the monopoly and give
the wrong signal to those watching ICANN (think WSIS, EU etc.).

Price is certainly not the only thing. Enhancing competition also
means that more companies should be invloved in the registry business.
So my position is not that .NET should go to the lowest bidder per se
(even giving security, stability etc. issues).

I do think, however, that price must be a decisive criterium. For
several reasons:

1. It is objective;
2. It will get rid of the idea that ICANN is just managing a cartel
and granting nice contracts to friends;
3. It will mean lower prices for consumers.

This message is as much concerned with the future of ICANN as with the
interests of my constituency. Perhaps the two will flourish together?