ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

net-com

[net-com] Response to Marc Schneiders on the .net list

  • To: net-com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [net-com] Response to Marc Schneiders on the .net list
  • From: Cary Karp <ck@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 19:30:09 +0200 (CEST)
  • Sender: owner-net-com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Forwarded on behalf of Jeff Neuman

 - - - - -

Marc stated:

"Without daring to doubt either the numbers or the extrapolation allow me
to present as contrast the lower pricing for .biz and .us names offered by
Enom (for new registrations), reflecting the lower pricing Enom pays to the
registry. I've seen with Enom $4.95 for new .us and .biz names, while .com
etc. are $6.95."

Response:

As a general principal, my original points still stand.  However, there are
exceptions to the general rule and I did not want this point to go
unanswered.

In order to stimulate marketing by registrars, each of the registries often
enter into marketing programs with registrars by offering marketing
incentives to the registrar to sell their domain names.  This sometimes
enables registrars to lower their pricing (because the registries help them
in absorbing certain marketing costs).  If you examine this issue further,
you would notice that these lower prices occurred only during a
co-marketing program between the registry and registrar and the limited
time lower prices do not reflect the registrar's normal pricing.  Please
also note that all co-marketing programs, according to the registries'
contracts, must be available to all registrars equally.

Jeff

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Director, Law & Policy
NeuStar, Inc.