ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

net-com

Re: [net-com] Draft report of the dot net sub-committee v3

  • To: Philip Sheppard <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [net-com] Draft report of the dot net sub-committee v3
  • From: Marc Schneiders <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 23:47:13 +0200 (CEST)
  • Cc: <net-com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-net-com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Unfortunately I cannot participate in the telconference of May 18.
Please accept my apologies for absence. v3 of the report is quite fine
with me. I have just a few smaller queries about a few lines, vid.:

"(Criteria 2) Name service resolution time should not exceed the
current time for existing .net name service resolution. Preference
should be given to proposals offering shorter times."

I am guessing this is about how often the zone file of .NET is updated
with nameserver changes for the .net domains. The way it is put here,
could also mean (and I think actually means) how quickly a DNS query
is answered by the .NET servers. That should be quick (like it is),
but I think the issue we talked about, was that it takes long before
Verisign updates nameservers for the domains (once or twice a day?),
while with .ORG this is now much quicker.

"(Criteria 2) Consideration should be given to technical stability
based on diversification in order to reduce the impact of any one
supplier failure."

I don't know what this means in real life. If this is my fault,
ignore this remark.

"(Criteria 3) Innovation and new services. Consideration could be
given to proposals offering new services."

Since registries are by nature monopolies, esp. those that operate old
TLDs (like .NET) that exist from before the opening up of the market
by adding more TLDs (.biz, .info and hopefully more in the coming
years), I feel a bit uncomfortable about these new services, since
they would only enhance the monopoly. Shouldn't new services be mainly
done by registrARs? If this criterium must stay, I would like it
marked as the least important.

Best regards,

Marc Schneiders