ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[ispcp]

[ispcp] Blogs about ICANN54 Schedule

  • To: <ispcp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ispcp] Blogs about ICANN54 Schedule
  • From: "WUKnoben" <wolf-ulrich.knoben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 18:26:42 +0200
  • Sender: owner-ispcp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

FYI!

Dear all,

There are two blogs related to the transition and ICANN accountability that have been posted to the ICANN website in the past 48h. I’ve copied them below for your convenience. Please note the schedule changes.
  1.. Steve Crocker, Dublin and Transition (https://www.icann.org/news/blog/dublin-and-transition)
  2.. Nick Tomasso, Increasing Community Discussions on Enhancing ICANN Accountability at ICANN54 (https://www.icann.org/news/blog/increasing-community-discussions-on-enhancing-icann-accountability-at-icann54)

1. Dublin and Transition (Steve Crocker)

Original Link: https://www.icann.org/news/blog/dublin-and-transition

I look forward to seeing many of you on the Emerald Isle at ICANN54. I personally have been reinvigorated witnessing the commitment of the community, the CCWG-Accountability in particular, as we work towards completing the last piece of a proposal that will move ICANN to an independent, improved and even more accountable organization.

We all know the reality of the situation we're facing today, not just the timelines but also the need to come together on this last piece of the puzzle. It's not about the Board, nor about any other single stakeholder – it's about the whole community coming together. As I've said before, though I and the other Board members are on the Board now, we are only here for a while, and then we will leave. In two years one of you will take over my seat and I will return to my former role in the wider community. We're all stakeholders – that's the beauty of the ICANN multistakeholder model. Everyone has a voice – and as soon as anyone says differently or tries to exclude people, well, that's not the Internet community I've participated in and watched evolve over the last 30 plus years, and that's not what ICANN is about.

It's about wading through a noisy, and at times robust, but good faith discussion to come together and agree upon a final, balanced approach. Right now, it happens to be about the CCWG-Accountability analyzing and addressing the 93 comments from the last round of public comment, listening to all possible views and opinions from across the community– including those that come forward in Dublin—and developing a final consensus proposal.

We are in the final stretch of this and it's time for everyone, however involved you've been, to help work towards a consensus.

Dublin will be key as we show the world what our multistakeholder model can accomplish. I know many on the Board are deeply engaged alongside many of you in the working parties and will continue participating in community discussion throughout this process. The CCWG and the broader community both have a lot of discussions ahead. The Board looks forward to participating as one stakeholder of many, and I thank you all for your energy and commitment to this effort. It really is a wonder to behold.

For those of you following the IANA Stewardship Transition and Enhancing ICANN Accountability processes in Dublin or from your computer at home, below is a quick reference guide to the latest transition-related meetings. At the community's request, the ICANN staff identified additional times forICANN Accountability discussions with as little disruption as possible to the current meeting schedule.

Please don't hesitate to join in the discussions no matter where you are in the world. We are nearly there. It is a historic moment, and truly a testament to the strength of the multistakeholder model.

      Date Time Seesion Title Room
      Friday, 16 October 08:30-18:30 CCWG-Accountability Face-to-Face Meeting Liffey H2
      Saturday, 17 October 08:30-12:00 CCWG-Accountability Sub-team Breakouts Liffey H2
      Saturday, 17 October 13:00-17:00 ICG Face-to-Face Meeting Liffey B
      Sunday, 18 October 09:00-12:00 ICG Face-to-Face Meeting Liffey B
      Sunday, 18 October 16:45-18:15 Transition Perspectives: From Internet Pioneer and the U.S. Congress Auditorium
      Monday, 19 October 10:15-11:45 CCWG-Accountability Engagement Session Auditorium
      Monday, 19 October 12:00-13:00 ICG Engagement Session Auditorium
      Monday, 19 October 14:00-18:30 Discussion on Enhancing ICANN Accountability Auditorium
      Wednesday, 21 October 09:30-11:00 CWG-Stewardship Working Session Wicklow H2
      Wednesday, 21 October 15:30-16:30 IANA Stewardship Transition Implementation Wicklow H2
      Wednesday, 21 October 17:00-20:00 Discussion on Enhancing ICANN Accountability Auditorium
      Thursday, 22 October 08:00-10:30 CCWG-Accountability Working Session Liffey H2
      Thursday, 22 October 10:30-12:30 ICG Working Session Liffey B
      Friday, 23 October 09:00-17:00 ICG Working Session Liffey B

2. Increasing Community Discussions on Enhancing ICANN Accountability at ICANN54 (Nick Tomasso)

Original link: https://www.icann.org/news/blog/increasing-community-discussions-on-enhancing-icann-accountability-at-icann54

As participants from around the world are preparing themselves for ICANN's 54th Public Meeting, theICANN Meetings Team has been hard at work to finalize the meeting schedule. Last week during an SO-AC-SG-C-RALO Leadership Call, ICANN staff was asked to provide options for community consideration to increase time in Dublin for discussions around the Enhancing ICANN Accountability process. Given the important circumstances and timely nature of the request, we identified timeslots for EnhancingICANN Accountability discussions where we could insert new sessions with as little disruption as possible to the current meeting schedule.

After a few days of brainstorming, our team was able to provide the community with three options for increasing CCWG-Accountability discussion time in Dublin. These options varied from little change/minimal disruption to significant change/significant disruption to the ICANN54 schedule. After discussions amongst the broader community on these three options, the SO-AC-SG-C-RALO Leadership Team reached consensus this morning on a middle-ground option, which would increase EnhancingICANN Accountability discussions without significant disruption to the current meeting structure.

Finalization of agendas and details of these new sessions are forthcoming; the CCWG-Accountability co-Chairs will provide these details tomorrow, Tuesday, 13 October.

  Friday, 16 October
  Removal of the SO-AC-SG-RALO Community Roundtable

  This will provide SO-AC-SG-RALO Community Leaders the opportunity to join the CCWG-Accountability Working Session from 15:30-18:30.

  Monday, 19 October
  Addition of a full-afternoon, community-wide session to discuss Enhancing ICANN Accountability from 14:00-18:30 in the Auditorium.

  This timeslot will allow for the broadest possible participation pending final agenda from the CCWG-Accountability. Given the Auditorium configuration, the session will include 2-4 standing microphones rather than desk microphones for participants.

  Tuesday, 20 October
  Addition of the Joint Meeting of the ICANN Board & SSAC to the end of the day from 18:00-19:00 in the Auditorium.

  This would be moved from Wednesday to allow more time for an Enhancing ICANN Accountability Session. Additionally, the ICANN Board Cocktail Reception with the GAC will now run from 19:15-20:15.

  Wednesday, 21 October
  Addition of a second community-wide discussion on Enhancing ICANN Accountability session from 17:00-20:00 in the Auditorium.

  This timeslot will allow for the broadest possible participation pending final agenda from the CCWG-Accountability. Given the Auditorium configuration, the session will include 2-4 standing microphones rather than desk microphones for participants.

To see the entire ICANN54 meeting schedule please see here.

We look forward to continuing to support the community in any way possible. Please note that with sessions starting in the next few days, any further changes to the schedule, with the exception of session cancellations, will not be feasible. We appreciate the flexibility of those of you who will be affected by these changes.

Thank you all and see you in Dublin!