ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[ispcp]

[ispcp] PROPOSED TEXT: WSIS Draft Resolution

  • To: <ispcp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ispcp] PROPOSED TEXT: WSIS Draft Resolution
  • From: "Mark McFadden" <mcf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 10:33:47 -0600
  • Sender: owner-ispcp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

WSIS Workshop Planning Group Draft Resolution			12-5-04
Version 1.0

Whereas:

1. ICANN is a bottom up, consensus based, participatory global organization,
responsible for coordinating the unique identifiers of the Internet. In
particular, ICANN is responsible for ensuring the stable and secure
operation of the Internet's unique identifier systems, such as the domain
names, IP Addresses, protocol and parameters, the Internet root server
system and those policies that are related to the unique identifiers.

2. At ICANN's creation, the community recognized the importance of a unique
forum to address these issues, and has supported the continuing evolution of
ICANN as the unique forum for coordinating the unique identifiers of the
Internet and related policy.

3. As the Internet evolves, so does the need for the participation of an
ever growing and diverse set of stakeholders, with a particular emphasis on
the participation of stakeholders from developing countries.

4. With this expanding participation,  ICANN will continue to evolve and
mature in its role in coordinating the Internet's unique identifiers, and in
increasing awareness and understanding of its role in advancing the
Internet..

Recognizing :

5. Internet Governance has emerged as an important issue in many fora, most
especially through the WSIS process.

6. That no single entity or organization possesses the expertise nor broad
participation to undertake addressing all aspects of Internet Governance in
isolation.

7. ICANN provides the opportunity for participation by diverse stakeholders
associated with, and interested in, its activities and mission related to
coordination of the unique identifiers of the Internet.

8. That many of ICANN stakeholders who are involved in ICANN's work are also
involved in the broader set of initiatives and organizations already engaged
in discussing or addressing Internet Governance.

RESOLVED THAT

9. We endorse the ICANN model of a private public partnership-- involving
the broadest set of stakeholders: civil society, non governmental
organizations, commercial and individual users, suppliers, and governments--
responsible for coordinating the unique identifiers of the Internet and
related policies. We support the continuing internationalization of ICANN.

10. We call on those who seek change in the present stakeholder driven model
for coordination of the technical management of the Internet's unique
identifiers to fully participate in ICANN's process and activities, and work
with ICANN's stakeholders to address their concerns within the ICANN
process.

11. We call on the ICANN Board, all ICANN stakeholders and staff to
participate in the Working Group on Internet Governance and in the World
Summit on the Information Society to advance broad support for the public
private, stakeholder-driven model for coordination of the Internet's unique
identifiers.

12. We urge the ICANN board, ICANN stakeholders and staff to support the
growing awareness and understanding of what ICANN does, while recognizing
the need for collaboration, cooperation, coordination, and coexistence with
other organizations and entities who are engaged in the larger issues and
activities related to Internet Governance.

13. We support the collaboration and cooperation within the ICANN community
of regional Internet registries, ccTLD managers, non-commercial and business
organizations,  individual Internet users , the broad technical community,
root server operators and governments and support activities that increase
understanding of ICANN's work and focus as the forum for coordinating the
unique identifiers of the Internet and related policy..

14. We support improved communications and collaboration within all members
of the ICANN community for increasing understanding and participation in
ICANN, in particular from developing countries.