Re: [ga] GNSO Council: Ignoring the public, again

Danny Younger wrote:

Having listened to the entirety of today's GNSO
Council session

An interesting side aspect is that today ICANN announced a solicitation for "Candidates to Develop Request for Proposals for New gTLDs"

It does seem that someone has already pre-judged the outcome and wants to put it into practice, for a lucrative skim of the action.

Later tonight (more likely sometime tomorrow) I hope to put up a simple form on my blog that I believe should be all that ICANN requires for TLD applicants and ought to cost all of a few pennies to evaluate and process.

By-the-way, I agree with you that ICANN's "comment" mechanism benefits nobody except disk drive manufacturers, like my neighbor, Seagate - the stuff is stored but apparently rarely read, much less considered. And yes, if it were bricks thrown over a wall, it would be a waste of bricks.

There is this weird mind set in ICANN that allowing the public to post text is a some kind of open or transparent behaviour. That mind set tends to forget that such material must be considered, and not just considered in a minor way at the end of the process, but rather as the primary and dominant input of the entire decision making process.

		--karl--