[ga] Alternative Domain Name Distribution Models

  • To: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Alternative Domain Name Distribution Models
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 07:11:31 -0400
  • Cc: "'Roberto Gaetano'" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Roberto:

Let me begin by stating our points of agreement. As I stated in my last
email, I believe there should be a presumption of using the current
registrar distribution model for all registries. I believe in reading
your comments, you might find a "stronger" presumption in favor of using
the current registrar distribution. The reason I submitted my comments
with regard to Recommendation #19 was that there was no
latitude/flexibility to discuss varying levels of presumption just a
simple black and white rule. As we saw during our time on the Board in
connection with the 2004 sTLD round, black and white analysis rarely
works. That is why the original sTLD evaluation committees only approved
2 out of the 10 applicants (.POST and .CAT) and why the ICANN Board had
to intervene in connection with (.TRAVEL. .JOBS, .MOBI, .ASIA, and
.TEL).

I fully agree that registries which have strict verification criteria
are generally more suitable to potentially overcome the presumption that
I have discussed. That is because the heightened levels of verification
generally discourage registrars from investing the time and money to
build systems to interface with these registries, and these heightened
levels of verification also generally result in lower numbers of
registrations. In fact according to my quick back of the napkin
calculations, the only sTLD with over 50,000 registrations is .MOBI. In
fact most of the sTLDs are under 10,000, numbers that I believe are
comparable to the .EDU, .GOV, .MIL and .INT TLDs that I referenced.

As I previously stated, my initial thinking was to look toward a black
and white numerical threshold by which registries could seek an
exemption. While this would work for most of the current registries in
today's marketplace (i.e. .MUSEUM) it would not scale to address every
possible scenario. That is why I have been an advocate of the rebuttable
presumption. It sends a clear message to potential applicants that there
is a presumption in favor of the existing registrar/registry dichotomy.
In fact I am even personally open to dialog about wording along the
lines of a strong presumption. I just know that the absolute black and
white rule contained in Recommendation #19 will not scale and will fail
in the next round. That is why I am trying to socialize this idea of
taking a different look at the situation.

I agree that registrars have done a lot within the existing .COM, .ORG
and .NET gTLDs to decrease costs and spur innovation, that is why in my
answer to Elliot I do not see any justification in today's market to
allow a registry such as VeriSign to go direct.

As Eric said on the list, I think there is a lot of common ground shared
by most of the people intelligently discussing this topic and hopefully
this dialog will help encourage potential alternative solutions to
maximize the common ground, and help provide for the best criteria for
the next round of sTLDs.

Roberto, I hope this email provides some additional clarification to my
original posting and finds some additional points of commonality in our
thinking.

Best regards,

Michael

P.S. In the interst of continuing a positive dialog I changed the
subject line to this thread :-)