Re: [ga] Important New Ruling

Danny Younger wrote:
"A company cannot change its contract with consumers
simply by posting revised conditions on its website, a
US appeals court has ruled" --

full story here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/26/online_contract_changes/

Court decision here: http://pub.bna.com/eclr/0675424_071807.pdf

As I read it, this ruling should impact registrar
Terms of Service Agreements.

Don't read what isn't there. This was a decision that is quite dependent on the law of the particular jurisdictions involved.

I only skimmed the opinion, but much seemed to involve the lack of notice. A registrar might be able to avoid this problem simply by sending a notice via an email to one of the registration contacts or by setting up an RSS feed and requiring registrants to monitor it.

In fact, one thing that ICANN could set up is an aggegator (serving as a kind of gazette of notices) for registrar announcements.

		--karl--