RE: [ga] RE: Sponsorship of IGF Workshops

At 12:16 07/07/2007, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
Karl Auerbach wrote:

> Given that ICANN has a limited charter and is funded, if
> indirectly, out of the pockets of users of the internet, it
> does seem that for ICANN to expend money and staff to
> participate in the IGF efforts is ultra vires.

In principle, I agree with Karl, it definitively would be the case.
But unfortunately the IGF itself is going out of its charter and discussing
alternate ways to dela with "critical resources", which is intended to be
domain names and addresses. And this subject is exactly the charter of
ICANN, so I believe that it is necessary that ICANN participates to the
debate.

Dear Roberto,
I am afraid this not exactly the case. The Tunis agreement is that the USA (hence ICANN) manage the Internet as it is today. This in particular addresses the considerations voted by the US Congress and British interests. This also translates from the fact that IETF never wanted to participate to the WSIS, permitting easily the USA not to include the existing technical pole among the civil society, economy, government and international entities quadruple multi stakeholder governance. I consider this as an adequate patch due to the low technical awareness.

However, the agreement is that "emerging" issues (i.e. issues not included in the USG governed vision of the Internet) are the cup of tea of the IGF. This leads to an imprecise boarder to be actually de facto decided by ICANN and the USG. If an item is correctly addressed by them, they are in the lead because it is obviously not-emerging. Otherwise the IGF takes over. Since the IGF is merely an organisation equivalent to the IETF and has no IAB and IESG we are in a non defined situation. This is foreseen to be addressed by the "enhanced cooperation" mechanism to be discussed. Here we have certainly a difficulty because it has not been discussed yet, so, ICANN tends to think it is a an enhanced cooperation with ICANN, others it is an inter-governmental cooperation (and we have a possible conflict between ITU and ICANN/GAC), others think such a enhanced cooperation must involve all the "operational" stakeholders (civil society experts and user associations, economy decision makers, technical standardization organisations, governments, and international institutions).

Multilingual Internet is the initial technical issue. Critical resources can be the next one. They only becomes "emerging" issues because the world community tends to think the ICANN/USG approach is possibly inappropriate. The emergence of the so called IGF "Internet community" is perceived as a way to protect a financially rewarding but otherwise unsatisfactory status-quo (actively supported by some interests also active in the ICANNN community). Metacoms/Extended Services/Semantic addressing issues are certainly emerging issues by their own since they are outside of the ITU and of the IETF scope as consistently shown by the IETF attitude these last years.

There can be political influence attempts to address that situation in overcoming others' interest, introducing arbitrary technical limitations (or what is perceived as such by some). We observe several of them. IMHO I think they lead to no where, because we all are in the same network system.

I think more positive a proposition such as the one I recently made at http://mltf.org/070622-prop.pdf over the geolinguistic metastructures of the Internet, or to everyone interested in contributing to an R&D debate over semantic addressing. Excluding emerging needs from the IETF/ICANN technology, such as multilingualization in trying to impose the sole English internationalization as do IETF/IDN, is bad. It can only push the world to consider multilingualization as "emerging" issue, therefore out of the scope of ICANN/IETF.

The same over the poor deployment of IPv6: IPv6 was an operator's need. Operators do not use it? Calling on users to force its deployment is certainly a good idea. However, it can only work in considering the networkwide applications that every users could benefit from (session/presentation layer, semantic addressing support, new types of universal needs, etc.)

This is why I think we must acknowledge our differences and possible conflicts and join forces, towards adequately structured multi-consensus (over the interoperability of several local consensuses). This GA _may_ help this due to its lurkers.

Cheers,
jfc