RE: [ga] Increased foreign attendance

  • To: <sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Debbie Garside'" <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Increased foreign attendance
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 10:01:03 -0400
  • Cc: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sotiris,

> When Roberto (and anyone else) tries to patronize us by
> making ridiculous statements that have no basis in reality,
> you better believe he/she will get a blasting.  The very gall
> to come out and say that Business doesn't have a voice on the
> BoD is absurd!  It's all geared towards Buiness interests...
> any idiot can see that!  Roberto is trying to spin the
> situation and quite inanely thinks nobody will notice!  So,
> when the patronizing bullshit stops perhaps we can have a
> proper dialogue, until then I will call a spade a spade.

I might have misunderstood Prof. Froomkin's statement, that I responded to.
If so I apologize.

He wrote:
> ...  The day that, say, businesses, who also number in the
> millions, are asked to organzie along the same lines is the day that
> I'll start to take RALO's seriously.

I interpreted this not to be specifically addressing the registries,
registrars, domainers, etc., but addressing the average business *user* of
the internet (let's say, a bank, a supermarket chain, whatever), since we
were comparing this to average individual *users* of the internet. These
ordinary businesses, via the Business Constituency, have less power than the
ordinary users, via the ALAC.

IMHO, the registries, registrars, domainers, etc. do not participate in this
process as businesses, but for the function that they play in the DNS. And
in fact registries, for instance, can be businesses but also non profits. As
well as domainers can be individuals, do not need to be business
organizations, even if they draw a profit from their activities.

Cheers,
Roberto