RE: [ga] independent review and information disclosure policies posted

  • To: <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Karl Auerbach'" <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] independent review and information disclosure policies posted
  • From: "Debbie Garside" <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 23:19:31 +0100
  • Cc: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As someone who writes reports for local and national government for a living
(in part anyway) this review looks pretty independent to me.  In looking at
One World Trust web site they would seem to have the credentials to
undertake such a task.

But to get back to the nitty gritty.  This report was published in March
2007.  If you read the executive summary (I haven't read the full report
yet) you can see that there are several recommendations.  It will take a
considerable amount of time to put policies and structures in place in order
to adopt these recommendations.  Not to mention the administrative time to
collate and analyse the public comment before any of this can be even
started.

In your email stating that One World Trust did not ask your opinion.  Why
would they?  That is a different process and would require market research
to get a statistically valid viewpoint.  If they only ask those who have
complained about lack of transparency the report would be completely biased.
WRT contat details for the organization conducting the review, it is not
usual to supply contact details for the organization doing the review - In
this case they would be inundated with angry emails methinks.

To expect ICANN to deliver solutions within 3 months of the report being
published is completely unrealistic.  What would be better is to, perhaps,
help ICANN in devising those solutions.  For instance, you could ask ICANN
to introduce a timescale for implementing the changes recommended by the
report. A first stage is to ask ICANN to indicate which aspects of the
Action Plan they intend to adopt and if they intend to adopt them in any
order of priority.  That will at least give you some idea as to when things
will start happening.  Then you could start on the list of how these actions
can best be devised/designed and implemented.

Best regards

Debbie