RE: [ga] Increased foreign attendance

> Sorry for being a Johnny-come-lately... We all have to start somewhere and
> given that I have monitored this list for 8 months I thought it was about
> time I participated.  I didn't realise you had to be in here from 1998 to
> participate.

I never implied any such thing so don't go getting bees in your bustle.
Participation has always been open, and so it should be in perpetuity.
However, there is a threshold of informed participation which gives us (as
Veni likes to put it) "old guys" a distinct vantage point on affairs as
they happen to stand.  Oftentimes over the past 9 years, when confronted
with the blatant hubris of the developing ICANN bureaucracy, those of us
who have been constructive and amenable in days "a long time ago" (as Veni
puts it), have what can only be characterised as "enough is enough"
moments.

> I have given you my perception of this forum. My perception as a
> Johnny-come-lately is probably not worth much but given that many ICANN
> staff have changed since 1998 they will no doubt also be perceived as
> Johnny-come-latelies.  IF they have the same perception of this forum as I
> do that could be the reason why nobody is listening to you.  Food for
> thought!

Here is something from 2001 which you can mull over for a bit, that's if
you're serious and wish to assess matters in an informed manner:

http://forum.icann.org/dnsoreview1/3ADB39BF00000043.html

The above document was submitted Mon, April 16, 2001 and represents IMHO a
particularly good example of the 'constructive' nature of the
participation of some of us "old guys" back when we came along with the
very same intentions you espouse or would like to "perceive" in this
group.  I'm not going to bother to send you back to the interminable email
discussions such a varied group as the DNSO of that day had, however, I do
think that if you consider the document at the above link you will see a
rather impartial approach to voicing the concerns of the DNSO (forerunner
to the GNSO).  Suffice to say, ICANN staff response was disappointing, to
say the least.

> Please try to be a little more constructive in your posts as opposed to
> attacking the "establishment" with every second word and this perception
> may
> change and you may actually achieve what you set out to achieve whilst
> gaining support from the johnny-come-latelies of this world who can
> strengthen your case.

It has been my experience that the johnny-come-latelies are usually not
inclined to educate themselves fully on the past issues of ICANN to
understand the current situation and why many of us have become quite
frustrated.  Let's hope you're different.  ;-)

> Just my very humble civic opinion.

Returned in kind.

Amiably,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos