RE: [ga] Increased foreign attendance

  • To: Debbie Garside <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Increased foreign attendance
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 05:17:00 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Debbie,

Thank you for your comment.  Those of us that have
that have watched the process for a long long time
understand that ICANN has long denied travel funding
to certain groups.  For example, the elected
representatives of the non-commercial organizations
that constitute the NCUC (Non Commercial Users
Constituency) have never received funding from ICANN
that would allow its GNSO Councillors (from places as
remote and poor as Cambodia) to attend the ICANN
sessions -- the NCUC tends to be critical of ICANN.

Another example, not that long ago I applied to the
GNSO Secretariat to request travel funding for General
Assembly members to attend an intersessional policy
formulating session (and, of course, that request was
denied) -- the GA is usually highly critical of ICANN.

In the meantime, ICANN allocates $US760,000 to cover
travel expenses for non-commercial organizational
representatives that are not members of the NCUC --

Ultimately, it's a question of fairness.

With regard to your other observations, ICANN can
certainly be faulted for not providing a plenary
agenda well in advance of its sessions.  No reasonable
person that is not funded by other self-interested
parties can plan to attend a conference without even
the benefit of a schedule of activities to justify the
expense of travel, lodging, and time away from family
or work.

Many of us on this list have little interest in
ICANN's inclusion initiatives as long as ICANN
continues to pursue exclusionary policies.

These exclusionary policies have seen the removal of
all at-large directors from ICANN's board, the formal
dissolution of the General Assembly as a
representative structure and no role for the broader
at-large community of unaffiliated individuals.
ICANN's exclusionary policies have twice seen the
Board disregard a petition for an individuals
constituency.

Just because ICANN now has a swelling budget (the
result of Board-imposed domain name price increases
that the registrant community has to pay for) does not
mean that we approve of ICANN spending our monies to
gather up a circle of "friends" while those critical
of ICANN behaviors continue to be left out in the
cold.

best wishes,
Danny

<http://icann.org/announcements/announcement-26jun07.htm>