Re: [ga] Public Comments Sought on GNSO Improvements

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Public Comments Sought on GNSO Improvements
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 22:06:47 -0700
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, icann staff <icann-staff@xxxxxxxxx>, GNSO/DNSO Council <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny and all,

  Now that I have read this through several times I tend to agree
with what you suggest for the GNSO *IF* the GA is reinstated.

  It seems though Dr. Dierker our chair, is on a different tangent
in desiring to create a new Constituency from an old and failed
model, the defunct and discredited IDNO.  This course will
inevitably fail.

  If a new constituency for Independent registrants has a chance
of being adopted, it will need to be from new whole cloth.  And
even at that given the balancing act regarding voting on the
GNSO council will be very difficult to do in a fair and representative
manner, as you rightly indicate in respect to the NCUC.

Danny Younger wrote:

> Hello Rod,
>
> What has been proposed is a feeble effort to disguise
> the fact that ICANN needs to merge the BC-IPC-ISPCP.
> The "broad stakeholder groups" (umbrellas) make no
> sense when you realize that registries and registrars
> will not be combined under a single umbrella.
> Instead, registries will remain a single constituency
> as will the registrars (and now they need to figure
> out what to do with the NCUC since they don't have
> proper weighting for whatever Council voting approach
> they will invariably adopt).
>
> The LSE recommended establishing a register of all
> GNSO members.  If GNSO membership will be recorded,
> then I tend to favor completely dispensing with
> constituencies and using a one-man-one vote approach
> whenever voting is required (action by plebiscite).
>
> The rest of the time, I will be comfortable with the
> concept of fluid or dynamic coalitions that come
> together (or fall apart) on an ad-hoc basis to either
> support or oppose whatever policy recommendations may
> be under discussion.
>
> A formal constituency is only needed if constituencies
> will have a measure of "power" in the new construct.
> If we can transfer whatever "power" they now have
> (such as the right to elect directors) to a GNSO
> membership via plebiscite, then perhaps we can finally
> dispense with the need for formal constituencies.
>
> --- "Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M."
> <roddixon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I understand Joop's point about stakeholders and I
> > agree with him.
> > It's possible, however, that pursuing an
> > "Individual's Constituency,"
> > which includes individual domain name holders, is
> > more pragmatic than
> > pursuing an IDNO constituency given the proposed
> > GNSO Improvements.
> > The working group draft proposes creating three or
> > four broad
> > Stakeholder Groups made up of one or more specific
> > constituencies
> > from the self-formed stakeholder constituencies that
> > have common
> > interests. In other words, it is likely that
> > individual's and
> > individual domain name holder constituencies would
> > be combined anyway
> > for purposes of voting within the GNSO.  If there is
> > support for
> > these combined constituencies within the GNSO now,
> > it makes sense
> > that we self-organize a more inclusive individual
> > user's constituency.
> >
> > Rod
> >

> > Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M.
> > www.cyberspaces.org
> >

> > On Jun 25, 2007, at 6:30 PM, Hugh Dierker wrote:
> >
> > > If Joe is for it, that is it.
> > > I am taking the afternoon off just to begin work
> > on it.
> > >
> > > Eric
> > >
> > > Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > have noticed many

> > the constituency
> [...]

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827