Re: [ga] Independent review and information disclosure policies posted

  • To: Edward Hasbrouck <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, estark@xxxxxxxxxxxx, jkneuer@xxxxxxxxxxxx, dmurray@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Independent review and information disclosure policies posted
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 03:56:54 -0700
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, icann staff <icann-staff@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ed and all,

  ICANN staff and Bod violating it's own bylaws is not an unusual
occurrence.  Such occurrences have been noticed, reported, and
documented on this and other forums on a number of occasions.
They have also been pointed out to DOC/NTIA.

Frankly however, it is these sorts of instances which DOC/NTIA
should be exercising it's oversight authority sternly.  But for some
unknown reason they have not done so.  One can only wonder
why.  I for one find that my tax dollar which helps pay DOC/NTIA's
budget is in this area, not being well spent.

Edward Hasbrouck wrote:

> On Saturday, ICANN quietly posted proposed "information disclosure"
> policies, and a new link to another Web site that allegedly contains the
> independent review procedures (although these have never been publicly
> discussed or approved by ICANN).  The new rules are part of the "ICANN
> Accountability and Transparency Frameworks and Principles".
>
> In the guise of measures for transparency and independent review, these
> newly posted policies and procedures would make explicit ICANN's secrecy
> and lack of accountability to the public or to any independent body. In
> their fine print, these policies and procedures would violate ICANN's
> Bylaw's on transparency and independent review, and strip those provisions
> of the Bylaws of any practical meaning or value.
>
> I've posted as detailed comments to the public forum as my time and the
> short notice permit, listing a few of the most obvious direct
> contradictions between the proposed policies and ICANN's Bylaws:
>
> http://forum.icann.org/lists/draft-mop-2007/msg00001.html
> http://forum.icann.org/lists/draft-mop-2007/msg00002.html

> Edward Hasbrouck
> <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> <http://hasbrouck.org>
> +1-415-824-0214

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827