Re: [ga] Advisory Regarding the .us TLD

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Advisory Regarding the .us TLD
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 05:11:42 -0700
  • Cc: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, NA Discuss <na-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Karl and all,

  I believe your technically correct, however it is or was assumed
DOC/NTIA has the relevant authority via the administrative branch
of government which is constitutionally empowered.  Congress has
oversight which has been little used/exercised non the less considered
in this administration or the previous administration each for entirely
different reasons of course...

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> Danny Younger wrote:
> > The Department of Commerce/ National
> > Telecommunications and Information Administration
> > issued a "sources sought" notice of an intention to
> > procure centralized management and coordination of
> > registry, registrar (where specified), database, and
> > information services for the usTLD.
>
>  From the "synopsis" I do not see that NTIA has indicated that is has a
> statutory basis upon which it can base any authority to run .us, much
> less to contract-out for its management.
>
> I did not see any reference to the full non-synopsis as perhaps it
> answers that question.
>
> However, given that the Congress' GAO has *twice* failed to find any
> source of authority for NTIA in these matters, the absence of an answer
> would not be surprising.
>
> A lack of authority would potentially render null and void all of NTIA's
> agreements including those it has with ICANN, Verisign, and others.
>
>                 --karl--

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827