[ga] ICANN Ignores the Ombudsman

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] ICANN Ignores the Ombudsman
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 12:04:57 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

... all I can say is:  Welcome to the club Frank!

http://omblog.icann.org/

May 13, 2007
No reply from ALAC
Filed under: cases and findings ? Frank Fowlie @ 12:54
pm
My cover letter to ICANN on February 14, 2007
contained the following paragraph:

"The Ombudsman Framework contains the following
provision:The Ombudsman shall have the power to make
recommendations to the Board of Directors with respect
to matters arising from complaints reviewed by the
Ombudsman.  Where a recommendation has been made to
the Board of Directors, the Board of Directors shall
respond to the Ombudsman within 60 days following
their next Board meeting following a recommendation
with a response. As the next scheduled meeting of the
Board is March 13, 2007, I will look forward to a
response by May 13, 2007 (Italics mine)."  reference:
Page 3 -
http://www.icann.org/ombudsman/documents/report-15feb07.pdf

As of May 13, I have not either had a request to
extend the date of response, nor have I had a
response.

I draw your attention to paragraph 108 of the One
World Trust report on ICANN Transparency and
Accountability (Italics mine):

In the Ombudsman framework there is a specific
commitment made by the Board to respond to Ombudsman
recommendations within 60 days of the next Board
meeting. There is no similar commitment made in
relation to responding to Reconsideration Committee
recommendations. A commitment to a provide timely
response is important because it prevents protracted
processes and also ensures the complainant is not
forced to wait for a response an unnecessarily long
period of time.

Recommendation 4.6: The Board should consider making a
commitment to responding to the recommendations of the
Reconsideration Committee within a specific period of
time.

I trust that this default will be addressed by the
parties concerned with the shortest possible delay.

that gives answers, not web links.