RE: [ga] The news at the Lisbon meeting

  • To: "Danny Younger" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>, "Hugh Dierker" <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] The news at the Lisbon meeting
  • From: "Dominik Filipp" <dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 18:18:21 +0200
  • Cc: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny,

thank you for your brief resume. The tendency to grant SO the right to
elect the board members would probably be the most interesting idea if
put into effect, however, I guess it's just another verbal cover-up to
calm down the situation brought about by the registerfly debacle.

I have also noticed some new ALAC branches have been opened (in Europe
and Africa, I guess), which, however, without the voting membership just
imitates the decision power of volunteers involved in ICANN matters.

It seems like there was not a big rush around the registerfly in terms
of ICANN's responsibility towards the injured customers as was expected,
was it? Overall I've got a feeling the debates were too calm and the
results just hazily general. But, maybe I'm wrong...

Anyway, the positive moment here is the board has officially conceded
the necessity of broader participation in deciding. Although the board
will surely be making up all possible excuses to avoid implementing this
in practice, it has already been enounced and it's something the wide
community can rely on as a sort of public promise.

Dominik