Re: [ga] Domain is expiring within next 60 days , you CAN'T transfer

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Domain is expiring within next 60 days , you CAN'T transfer
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:39:35 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

That does not appear to be a permitted reason to deny a transfer. See
the Transfers Policy at:

http://www.icann.org/transfers/
http://www.icann.org/transfers/policy-12jul04.htm

"The Registrar of Record may deny a transfer request only in the
following specific instances:

1. Evidence of fraud
2. UDRP action
3. Court order by a court of competent jurisdiction
4. Reasonable dispute over the identity of the Registered Name Holder
or Administrative Contact
5. No payment for previous registration period (including credit card
charge-backs) if the domain name is past its expiration date or for
previous or current registration periods if the domain name has not yet
expired. In all such cases, however, the domain name must be put into
"Registrar Hold" status by the Registrar of Record prior to the denial
of transfer.
6. Express written objection to the transfer from the Transfer Contact.
(e.g. - email, fax, paper document or other processes by which the
Transfer Contact has expressly and voluntarily objected through opt-in
means)
7. A domain name was already in ?lock status? provided that the
Registrar provides a readily accessible and reasonable means for the
Registered Name Holder to remove the lock status.
8. A domain name is in the first 60 days of an initial registration
period.
9. A domain name is within 60 days (or a lesser period to be
determined) after being transferred (apart from being transferred back
to the original Registrar in cases where both Registrars so agree
and/or where a decision in the dispute resolution process so directs)."

Have the gaining registrar initiate a transfer dispute. As the policy
says "Upon denying a transfer request for any of the following reasons,
the Registrar of Record must provide the Registered Name Holder and the
potential Gaining Registrar with the reason for denial."

However, read point #6, as it mentions that one can "opt-in" to more
restrictive measures, hmmm. Hopefully that's not a loophole that will
be used to make a mockery of the transfers policy.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/