Re: [ga] Public Forum on GNSO Improvements

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>, gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, denise.michel@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Public Forum on GNSO Improvements
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 22:04:53 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, icann staff <icann-staff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dr. Dierker and all,

  I agree.  This is only 4 days away.  There is seemingly no means by
which written input for this specific "Public Forum on GNSO
Improvements".
Why isn't there?  Glen, Denise?

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>   I am not so sure that speed of response is always such a good thing.
> I know the situation of Registryfly makes one want rapid response, and
> perhaps it can be divided between rapid temporary and cautious long
> term. (like courts with temporary and permanet injunctive relief).
>
>   But clearly this is another area where the GA should participate and
> self organize an appropriate position paper.
>
>   Eric
>
> "GNSO.SECRETARIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>   [To: ga[at]gnso.icann.org; announce[at]gnso.icann.org]
>
> FYI
>

> Dear Council and constituency members,
>
> Your participation in the 'Public Forum on GNSO Improvements'
> scheduled
> for Monday, 26 March, 16:00 - 18:00, in Lisbon is strongly encouraged.
>

> The Board Governance Committee (BGC) is hosting this forum to
> encourage
> additional public input and discussion on the LSE review and
> improvements to the GNSO's structures and processes. While input on
> all
> elements of the GNSO and the LSE review report are open for comment at
>
> the forum, the Committee is particularly interested in hearing your
> views on the GNSO review recommendations listed below. (Note that
> questions raised about the recommendations listed below are included
> prompt thought and discussion, and are not intended to represent the
> views of the BGC or its members).
>
> *Individuals and stakeholder groups are encouraged to submit views on
> these and other recommendations in advance of the forum to
> . Authors of emailed input will be given an
> opportunity to present their views prior to opening the forum to
> comments from the floor.*
>
> o Structural Changes to GNSO Constituencies -- LSE recommendation 19.
> Simplify the GNSO constituency structure in order to respond to rapid
> changes in the Internet, including by substituting 3 larger
> constituency
> groups representing Registration interests, Business, and Civil
> Society;
> LSE recommendation 18. Create a category of 'Associate Stakeholder' to
>
> establish a pool of available external expertise.
>
> - Which entities and individuals should participate in the GNSO
> process,
> and what will motivate them to want to join? The six current groups
> are
> the natural point to begin discussion. Do they represent the right
> groups? Are they over or under inclusive? The Bylaws acknowledge that
> the optimal groupings may be different than the ones that now exist,
> and
> that there is no "magic number." The LSE points out several problems
> with the current structure and suggests the substitution of three
> larger
> constituencies ? is this the right answer?

> [...]

"Obediance of the law is the greatest freedom" -
   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827