Re: [ga] Registrar Resolution

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Registrar Resolution
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 00:13:34 -0800
  • Cc: "Nevett, Jonathon" <jnevett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, icann staff <icann-staff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny, Jonathon, and all,

  Doesn't have my nor likely our members support as much of
what is stated is far too vague and therefore subject to multiple
interpretations and  not enforceable or effectual in any
meaningful or tangible manner.  Hence, registrants remain
no more or better protected...

  Specific responses below and interspersed..

Danny Younger wrote:

> Jon,
>
> Thanks for this initiative.  You have my support.
>
> Danny Younger

> Whereas, registrars only succeed if they provide
> valuable services to their customers;

Whereas, "valuable services" is what exactly?

> Whereas, registrants must be protected against the
> potential bad acts of disreputable registries and
> registrars;

Whereas, what "bad acts" are bad specifically? Whom
determines what are "bad acts"? How are whatever these
"bad acts", and there are potentially many, reported, and
to whom exactly?

> Whereas, within the scope of ICANN's mission and
> mandate, it is incumbent on it to protect registrants
> against the potential bad acts of disreputable gTLD
> registries and registrars;

Only gTLD registries and registrars?  Whereas, what
exactly are the protections ICANN is incumbent
to provide registrants?

> Whereas, ICANN Staff has recently formulated a new
> Compliance Program for gTLD Registries and Registrars;

Whereas, if so, why didn't registrants have significant notice
and input for gTLD Registries and Registrars?

> Whereas, ICANN Staff has recently announced its
> success in furthering a data escrow requirement for
> gTLD registries
> http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-05mar07.htm;

Whereas, only "furthering? and in what manner, exactly?

> Whereas, ICANN Staff has not yet specified a schedule,
> terms, or a format of a data escrow requirement for
> gTLD registrars;

Ok finally an honest statement.

> Whereas, many registrars currently secure registrant
> and domain name data through various back-up methods,
> but that this practice is by no means uniform or
> compulsory across all accredited registrars;

Whereas, no registrar whom has a secure registrant
and domain name data through various back-up methods
need to meet any recommended or uniform back-up method,
but minimum security of backed-up data containing registrant
registration data must be enforced by ICANN and DOC and
retention must meet current DHS recommended guidelines.

> Whereas, the various back-up methods used by
> registrars may not be sufficient in all cases to
> assist ICANN Staff in recovering such data in the
> event of registrar business failure; and
>
> Whereas, recent events have highlighted the need for a
> registrar data escrow program and enhanced compliance
> efforts with regard to requirements in the Registrar
> Accreditation Agreement.

Whereas, this is wimpish and ineffectual...

> Be it resolved that the undersigned registrars call
> for ICANN Staff to work with the ICANN Registrar
> Constituency to finalize the terms of a gTLD registrar
> data escrow program; and
>
> Be it further resolved that the undersigned registrars
> call for ICANN Staff to work with the ICANN Registrar
> Constituency to improve the
> effectiveness of the ICANN Compliance Program for gTLD
> Registrars.

Whereas, without registrant desires and needs incorporated
via their active and unfettered input, the likely and expected
effectiveness of this Compliance Program for gTLD
Registrars will be yet another waste of energy, time, and
not meet the real needs of registrants.

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827