RE: [ga] is ICANN or is ICANN not?

  • To: "'JFC Morfin'" <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Kim Davies'" <kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] is ICANN or is ICANN not?
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 13:56:13 +0100
  • Cc: "'ga'" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have a simple question for JFC.

What should, in your opinion, IANA do in case ISO decides to reallocate SU,
or any one of the codes that have been discontinued and moved to 3166-3?

If you think this should not happen, be aware that this has been already the
case for CS, that used to be in 3166-1 as Czekoslowakia, then moved to
3166-3 when the country split in Czech and Slowak Republics, then moved back
to 3166-1 as Serbia and Montenegro, and finally moved in its current
position in 3166-3 only after the split of Serbia and Montenegro in two
separate countries (with separate codes).

And what are the consequences of whatever decision is taken on the integrity
and stability?

To me these questions are far more important than how often, and on which
subject, IANA is in contact with whom. But that's only my own opinion and
preference.

Cheers,
Roberto

  _____