Re: [ga] Why not to do something real this time ? (was: another twist on whois)

JFC and all,

  RFC's are "Requests for comments" not standards or "Best practices"
and have no teeth as far as enforcement is concerned.  Vittorio's idea
was better, except that ICANN is not capable of enforcing anything,
and is not interested in doing so.  Self enforcement by resellers or
registrars, is nearly worthless unless there are dire legal consequences

to the violator.

JFC Morfin wrote:

>   Vittorio, Roberto, Danny, Chris, Joop, and others from GA, ALAC,
> NCUC,
> why not to consider writing a Registry/Registrar/Resellers Best
> Practices document including all the user protection clauses which
> exist or which could reasonably be implemented. Then we make it an
> RFC. This would permitting RRRs to compete in terms of best user
> interest respect in publishing the clauses they adhere to or not.
> jfc
>
> At 11:55 21/01/2007, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
>
> >Dena Whitebirch ha scritto:
> >>This post will likely bring up a ton of interrelated issues that
> >>although I tried, I couldn't figure how to separate for discussion
> >>purposes.  I guess it's a bit like the internet...one thing
> >>connects to the rest.
> >
> >Your story is interesting, though not so uncommon, so I have
> >forwarded the post to the ICANN Board list.
> >
> >ICANN si not the primary subject in this kind of problems, but I am
> >wondering whether there could actually be some consumer protection
> >measures that ICANN could take: for example it could add to the
> >registrar accreditation agreements a clause that requires them to
> >force their resellers to expose certain things to final registrants
> >(such as, who is the actual registrar company) or to avoid others
> >(such as using terms like "registration" unless there is an actual
> >registration in the final customer's name). Even if compliance of
> >these clauses would be a responsibility of the reseller only, and if
> >ICANN wouldn't usually be in the position to enforce them, at least
> >they would provide a benchmark of "good practice", and something
> >that registrants could use in their favour in the case of a
> controversy.
> >
> >Regards,
> >--
> >vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu
> <--------
> >-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/
> <--------

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827