[ga] RE: Whois more in detail

  • To: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] RE: Whois more in detail
  • From: "Dominik Filipp" <dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 16:16:22 +0100
  • Cc: "icann whois" <whois-comments@xxxxxxxxx>, "ga" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chris,

I have collected a list of pros and cons regarding the whois privacy
matter and have gotten this

* * *

a) Registrants tend to hide their identity data calling for keeping
individual and/or collective privacy right for variety of legitimate
reasons (personal safety, security, anti-spam protection, persecution,
abuse).
Amendment: PRIVACY

b) Suspected entities (spammers/scammers/speculators) call for the same
to hide their identity.
Amendment: DISCLOSURE

c) Companies harmed by copyright infringement or by other parties using
similar confusing domain name in bad faith call for disclosing as much
data as possible (the Red-Cross case).
Amendment: DISCLOSURE

d) Standard users want to access the data too in order to verify the
reliability of company before being charged via credit card, or before
initiating any sensitive negotiation/deal with the company.
Amendment: DISCLOSURE

e) Different national laws may impose different data privacy law
requirements (Dutch versus French models)
Amendment: NEUTRAL (cannot be influenced)

* * *

Just taken numerically its 3 : 1 in favour of disclosure, which is
geting me pretty surprised, particularly, now when I'm advocating the
privacy :-))).

I know this mechanical approach might seem ridiculous, but anyway...

What do you think? Frankly, I'm a bit puzzled...

Dominik