RE: [ga] Getting Heard by the ICANN Board

  • To: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Dominik Filipp <dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Getting Heard by the ICANN Board
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 18:56:48 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: GA <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I thought this should have more follow-up.

  And I would simply ask the question; How do you get the Attention of the Board Members?

Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Dominik,

The ICANN Structure is illustrated here (in brief):
http://www.icann.org/general/org-chart-12jan04.gif

The Board consists of fifteen voting members and six non-voting
Liaisons, described here in sections 2 and 9 of Article VI:
http://www.icann.org/general/bylaws.htm#VI:

The two selected by the GNSO are done so by a vote of the GNSO Council
members who themselves are elected/appointed by their constituencies.
However, the Board members selected by the GNSO are not required to
vote on issues based on any direction or consensus of the GNSO or its
constituencies. For example, the NCUC's posted comments about the COM
agreement made it clear they had problems with it. But they, and the
rest of us, could not directly control the vote of Rita or Alex (the
GNSO appointed Board members). Rita and Alex reviewed the comments and
relevant info and made their own decision.

Tim