[ga] scammers using whois privacy

  • To: "ga" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] scammers using whois privacy
  • From: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 16:28:29 -0500
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I love advocating for privacy, however if you have a domain name and you are on the public Internet, the whois info should be public in my opinion. The complaint about spammers using the whois info is weak. By allowing hidden whois, real scammers can hide much better.

A girl who works for me is being ripped off by http://www.travelagentsgodirect.com They are illegally billing her account for money. It's a telemarketing scam where they trick people into "verifying" their account numbers by reading aloud the routing number they obtain from third parties who sell that information like vericheck.

Once they have it they start billing people's accounts. if you do reach them, you are told that you have to write a cease and desist letter to make them stop billing you.

If you search for them on the web, you see they have several different names and websites. Each uses the whois privacy service at network solutions to dodge people from being able to contact them directly.

The need for privacy from spammers does not outweight the need for people to be able to contact companies who use domain names to scam everyone.

More info about Suntasia who instigated this scam where the others are just spinoffs is here http://ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff171692.htm

http://ripoffreport.com/
http://www.suntasia.com/default2.html
http://www.ketv.com/iteam/9727067/detail.html