[ga] Just joking around...

  • To: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Just joking around...
  • From: "Dominik Filipp" <dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 16:18:37 +0100
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

... just joking around the issues

a fictitious interview with ICANN...

Q1: How do you see the bottom-up consensus concept, in brief?

A: Well, the bottom-up consensus is being broadly discussed nowadays and
is generally supported and  accepted by the public community. We, too,
fully adhere to the concept adding just one minor improvement, which is
a consensus weighting. The following is a list of consensus weights
ordered by  precedence

1. ICANN
2. The US Government
3. Verisign Registry
4. Verisign Shareholders
5. Other Registries
6. Other Registries' Shareholders
7. Tasting Registrars
8. Non Tasting Registrars
9. Customers/Users
10. Registrants

Q2: Hmm..., interesting. Another hot topic being intensively discussed
is Domain Tasting. Many of us  point out that this, indeed, is a
problem, some are still hesitating to express their opinion and the
rest of us don't see any problem with it. Do you see any problem around
that?

A: Definitely. Recently, we have already initiated a detailed
observation of this phenomenon and have  found the situation more
serious than we supposed before. The main problem we are seeing here is
the  fact that the tasting registrars are doing the business without
giving us a nickel out of it. This  practice, viewed from long-term
perspective, is simply unacceptable.
To do a step forward, we have got involved in further negotiation with
BelgiumDomains registrar,  Verising, and, most of all, Google, the
today's leaders on this market. Initially, they firmly refused  our
proposal to participate, but after having threatened to eliminate Add
Grace Period at all, they  soon backed off so we could fluently proceed
with the negotiation.

To our question where the rest two giants CapitolDomains and
DomainDoorman, also invited to the  negotiation, are, the BelgiumDomains
representative answered that all three registrars are, in fact,  one
registrar having one computer hosting all the three registrars'
databases and the same web site.  "Wow, what an economy!", shouted we,
"how is that possible?". "Well,", stated the representative,  "although
we are ones of the fastest growing registrars, we, practically, do not
have any traffic. All our sites are scattered throughout plenty of
free-hosting services worldwide. What would we need a second computer
for?"

We proposed the broadly debated great idea to pay us the usual $0.75
nickel for every re-registration. We argued this was an absolute minimum
to cover our necessary expenses, such as keeping on organizing meetings,
lawyer services, translation services, travel costs, copy papers,
champagne, caviar and helicopter. They were consulting this apart for a
while, but finally said 'OK', as this should not endanger the business.

So, we soon started approaching the final conclusion. Verisign pledged
to deliver fresh traffic data to BelgiumDomains on daily basis, and
Google promised to improve AdSense by colouring in the relevant text and
image ads to even more attract the users misspelling their domain name.
The rest was a breeze...

Q3: Oh, that sounds great! Thank you for the interview.

A: You are welcome.

... nice Christmas to all

Dominik