Re: [ga] Getting Heard by the ICANN Board

Jefsey, Dominik, and all,

  Jefsey got the short and sorted history right.  His conclusions I
have some trouble with.  Well done Jefsey.

JFC Morfin wrote:

>    Dominik,
> what you say about Atlarge and NCUC is true. The problem is that the
> ICANN structure is a no-Member system built in a way everything is
> locked for class membership protection, the same at the IETF where
> RFC 3774 call this the problem of an "affinity group". This developed
> with ICANN itself. They are Roberto Gaetano, Harald Alvestrand, Danny
> Younger as GA Chairs in our area, Vint Cerf and Allesandro Pisanty
> for the Board, Karl Auerbach and Vittorio Berthola for at large,
> Peter Dengate Trush for the ccTLDs, etc. Vint and Harald took also
> care of the IETF relations (Harald chaired it). Same with relations
> with ISOC, the various constituencies (controlled by some well
> identified persons at IPC [Steve Metallitz], BC [Marilyn Cade], NCUC
> [Milton Mueller]) GNSO, ASO, etc. Then they create committees
> together with people they amalgamate to the affinity group) - except
> Karl Auerbach, "the first atlarge" the pariah they respect. They
> maintain odd relations with the size creeping Staff lead by Paul
> Twomey who is a permanent member of the BoD and will stay after Vint
> and Alessandro are gone (unless they change the By-Laws). They
> shelter their relations (and various ties with the USGovernment)
> behind a document logorrhea which permit them to always be more
> complex than their opponents. And if they are not Danny Younger is
> here to create and point out new complexity.
>
> For example I chair the eldest non-profit interested in International
> Network (created in 1978). I am denied its registration to NCUC
> saying that ... it does not exists, because I could conflict with
> Danny Younger there who represents ISOC-NY there, while all the other
> ISOC Chapters ar belonging to the ALAC.
>
> Most of the people involved in this Saga who shared in the WG-Review,
> the IDNO, the icannatlarge, etc. generous efforts are gone after they
> understood there was nothing to do against the ICANN creeping legal
> mollusc, but to replace it. Most dropped the issue and some still
> lurk here (hi! Joop, Sotiris, Dassa, etc.) a very few like me engaged
> into making it, leading to the IGF through the lengthy WSIS process.
>
> Today two visions are opposing in order to upgrade the decentralised
> model we organised in 1978/1884, and which is described in RFC 920
> and 1591 of Jon Postel and ICANN ICP-1 document. This follows the
> revision process engaged by Stuart Lynn (the President before Paul
> Twomey) to correct the over centralisation initiated by the first
> President (Michael Roberts).
>
> ( 1) there is an US/ICANN focalisation where the IANA becomes the
> reference for the on-line systems, and progressively for the world
> through the US Internet leadership. This option as been agreed in
> Tunis, subject to the practical limitations imposed in RFC 4646 which
> creates the IANA registry to be used to organise it. Most of the
> ICANNeers adhere to that vision as it insures the survival of ICANN
> [...]

"Obediance of the law is the greatest freedom" -
   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827