Re: [ga] ICANN Board unanimously approves .biz/.info/.org registry agreements by 13-0

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN Board unanimously approves .biz/.info/.org registry agreements by 13-0
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 00:08:58 -0800
  • Cc: Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Dominik Filipp'" <dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx>, "'General Assembly of the DNSO'" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Karl and all,

  Here here Karl.  But standing up for what is best, fair and/or right
for registrants/stakeholders,has no value add in terms of $$'s for
ICANN.

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> Roberto Gaetano wrote:
>
> > You might disagree, but one of the guiding factors for the Board is
> > uniformity of treatment for all participants.
>
> Why?
>
> There are TLD operators who obtained their position by inheriting a
> captive customer base from the days before ICANN.  These are the .com,
> .org, .net, .edu TLDs.
>
> Many of the folks in those TLDs never had a choice, their choice of TLD
> was dictated by the appropriate use policies that were the norm some
> time back.
>
> And then there are TLDs that came along under ICANN; every person in
> them entered those names completely voluntarily.
>
> There is a difference - those of us who are captives in .com and .org
> require protection from predatory practices.  We never had a choice.
>
> Those who are entering the new TLDs have a choice (albeit because of
> ICANN's policies a choice that often provides very little that is really
> different).
>
> So, there is reason for different treatment.
>
> Moreover, only Verisign among the TLD registries operates with a very
> old, but still alive agreement with NTIA.  That, too, is a significant
> reason for treating Verisign apples differently than the other TLD oranges.
>
> For the future, ICANN really needs to relax its straitjacket on what
> TLDs can do and how they structure their offerings - only then will
> there be real "competition".  But along the way, ICANN should remember
> that there are a lot of us who are locked-in, and have been locked-in,
> since years before there was a Network Solutions, before there was a
> Verisign, and before there was an ICANN.
>
> I think also that the provisions in the ICANN-Verisign agreement were
> forced upon ICANN (or rather, ICANN acquiesced to them without a fight)
> during litigation.
>
> What virtue is there in replicating those ill-provisions, such as
> registry fees that are based on no accounting whatsoever of the cost of
> performing registry transactions, to other TLDs?  Is it the position of
> ICANN that a mistake once done is worth repeating?  Might it better if
> ICANN were to aspire to learn and improve with each experience rather
> than descending to the lowest common denominator?
>
>                 --karl--
>
>                 --karl--

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827