RE: [ga] Verisign has broken IDN?

  • To: "Andy Gardner" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "General Assembly of the DNSO" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Verisign has broken IDN?
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 08:04:05 -0500
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Andy,

I spoke with Gary Krall who is the technical director responsible for
the i-Nav plug-in yesterday about this and have learned the following:

1)  Gary and his team worked closely with the IE7 product team when it
was first learned that there was a conflict between the two.  As a
consequence there were a number of procedures which were put into place
in an attempt to minimize, as much as possible, any issues on the part
of users when upgrading.  Note that the situation only occurs for
current XP-SP2/IE6 users who have i-Nav installed and who are upgrading
their browser to IE7.

Following the upgrade of the browser, i-Nav is **automatically
disabled** by IE7 itself and when the user opens their browser they are
presented with the error message which I am attaching in screenshot
'inav_warn.jpg' (this language is localized based on language of IE7).
If the user clicks on the button to Check for Update they are then
directed to a page like this
http://idn.verisign-grs.com/plug-in/ie7/english.html which I am also
attaching as a screenshot 'inav_upgraded.jpg'. This page has also been
localized in 19 languages.

2)  Related to your second point it is the case that China has blocked
access to "idn.verisign-grs.com" - however our plug-in does not need to
access this to work properly in and of itself.   In the case of the
scenario outlined above clearly if the user clicks on "Check for Update"
this request will be blocked and they will not be presented with the
information as noted above.  If a user in China has i-Nav installed in
any browser version other than IE7, not being able to reach
idn.verisign-grs.com has no effect as to the proper functioning of
i-Nav.

What you may be referring to is the actual distribution of i-Nav through
the Web Navigation system or for that matter resolution of dotCom or
dotNet IDNs in China for users who do not have software installed which
will handle the appropriate conversion.  By blocking access to this
domain users in China could in fact experience dotCom or dotNet IDN
resolution problems because there is no mechanism available to perform
the appropriate conversion required for IDN resolution.  This
restriction is unrelated to i-Nav if the user has it already installed.

Hope this helps to clear up some of the rumors.

Chuck Gomes
VeriSign Information Services