Re: [ga] secret rejection of reconsideration request

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] secret rejection of reconsideration request
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 00:01:23 -0800
  • Cc: Edward Hasbrouck <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Karl and all,

  I all fairness to ICANN, I believe it is very difficult for ICANN
to find a truly unbiased  "ombudsman" , or at least one that
they do not feel they need to control in some manner.  Hence
I would suggest that either DOC/NTIA act as "ombudsman",
or appoint one at random from a blind list of volunteers.

The "ombudsman" must have the power to:

1.) override any decision made by the Bod in which a reconsideration
     request has been filed.

2.) require the Bod to consider any reconsideration request in a
     manner he/she considers reasonable and in a time frame set
     by him/her.

3.) require the Bod to vote again based on any findings determined
     by him/her, and only based on those findings.

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> Edward Hasbrouck wrote:
> > Since there was no notice that there would be a meeting of the
> > Reconsideration Committee or that any of my outstanding requests would be
> > considered during any of the ICANN meetings, I didn't go to Sao Paulo.
>
> > http://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/001192.html
>
> ICANN's "ombudsman" seems very much to be a person who feels that
> organizational CYA is the purpose of his job.
>
> He seems concerned with tiny procedural issues only, and even then his
> involvement seems more to find excuses rather than adherence to ICANN's overall
> principles or to any notion of justice.
>
> The Ombudsman was created in part in response to ICANN's failure to form its
> required independent review panel and also in part to ICANN's ejection of the
> public from its fora.
>
> Like the message ICANN gives to the entire community of internet users, ICANN's
> message to you is this: "You be scrod".
>
> The idea that ICANN can replace the accountability achieved through public
> elections for directors with a hireling ombudsman is absurd in the abstract and
> has proved a failure in its concrete implementation.
>
> ICANN could improve the situation by filling the position with someone who is
> not a organizational sycophant.
>
>                 --karl--

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827