Re: [ga] secret rejection of reconsideration request

Edward Hasbrouck wrote:
Since there was no notice that there would be a meeting of the Reconsideration Committee or that any of my outstanding requests would be considered during any of the ICANN meetings, I didn't go to Sao Paulo.

http://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/001192.html

ICANN's "ombudsman" seems very much to be a person who feels that organizational CYA is the purpose of his job.

He seems concerned with tiny procedural issues only, and even then his involvement seems more to find excuses rather than adherence to ICANN's overall principles or to any notion of justice.

The Ombudsman was created in part in response to ICANN's failure to form its required independent review panel and also in part to ICANN's ejection of the public from its fora.

Like the message ICANN gives to the entire community of internet users, ICANN's message to you is this: "You be scrod".

The idea that ICANN can replace the accountability achieved through public elections for directors with a hireling ombudsman is absurd in the abstract and has proved a failure in its concrete implementation.

ICANN could improve the situation by filling the position with someone who is not a organizational sycophant.

		--karl--