Re: [ga] Board Meeting on .biz, .info, .org contracts advanced by one week

  • To: Thomas Narten <narten@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Board Meeting on .biz, .info, .org contracts advanced by one week
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 13:12:29 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Thomas,

--- Thomas Narten <narten@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> To be clear, what is on the agenda (quoting from the web page) is:
>
> > Review of Public Comments and Discussion of proposed .BIZ, .INFO,
> > and .ORG Registry Agreements
>
> Read that literally folks!

Did the Staff produce a report for the Board summarizing the public
comments? If so, a link to the summary would be appreciated.

Also, according to:

http://www.icannwiki.org/Open_Letter_to_ICANN_Community_from_NeuLevel_Regarding_.BIZ_Agreement

"NeuLevel has been working with ICANN for more than a year to
renegotiate the existing .BIZ agreement." Why were none of these
negotiations disclosed to the public, until only recently (and a month
after that letter was published? Note that Neustar (whose rep on the GA
has gone silent over the past little while....I wonder why....maybe
he's busy listening to musicals.....) said they "reached final
agreement on all points". This doesn't look to me like they want the
contract amended to reflect the public's concerns, or the existing PDP
'06 in the GNSO.

Indeed, that letter states "NeuLevel first requested renegotiation of
the .BIZ contract in 2003 to include a presumptive renewal clause".
2003!! When did ICANN disclose this to the public??

Also, we have the revelation "Subsequently, at the Mar Del Plata ICANN
Meeting in April of 2005, NeuLevel and other existing registry
operators were invited by ICANN to renegotiate our original
agreements." INVITED BY ICANN TO RENEGOTIATE???!!!?? Something is
seriously wrong if that is true.  Obviously ICANN has its priorities
all mixed up, and totally ignoring "bottom up" consensus for not
disclosing these things early to the public, and engaging in behaviour
that is not in the interest of its constituencies.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/